Tour Pompeii, Mt. Vesuvius and Herculaneum
Shore Excursion to Pompeii, Mt. Vesuvius and Herculaneum from Salerno Port
Excursion 3 - Pompeii, Herculaneum & Mt. Vesuvius
Can’t decide which archaeological site to visit? How about both?! And the Culprit!
At about 1pm on 24 August AD 79, Mount Vesuvius erupted violently. By the end of the following day, thousands of people were dead and the flourishing Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum had disappeared beneath tons of ash, pumice and solidified mud.
The excavations at Pompeii and Herculaneum, by contrast, offer an intact vision of daily life in a Roman society in all its aspects. They have produced not only many treasures, but also many less precious objects extremely useful for the understanding of everyday life during the years of the Roman empire. In the buildings of these towns - from the monumental to the most simple - the ancient world appears in all its complexity, with great clarity.
Mt. Vesuvius - Mainland Europe's only live volcano. Your driver will take you up 1000 metres, from there you have an optional 30-minute walk to the crater; Once at the top you can walk a third of the way round - inside the crater you may even observe a fumarole (steam/gas vents) - BUT most of all enjoy a spectacular view over the bay of Naples.
- 2 hours free time in Pompeii
- 2 hours free time in Herculaneum
- Visit the only live volcano in mainland Europe, walk right to the crater!
- Optional stop in a cameo factory to see this fine art being hand crafted
This is a physically difficult excursion involving a lot of walking, so good shoes must be worn!
FROM SALERNO PORT price of tour NOT per person
Groups of 1-3 people - 340 Euro
Groups of 4-6 people - 400 Euro
Groups of 7-8 people - 450 Euro
Deluxe air-conditioned vehicle,
English speaking driver,
All tolls, parking, petrol (gas) and taxes.
Entrance tickets where applicable,
Optional authorised guide, available on request,
Combined Pompeii & Herculanum €20
Open 08:30 till 6pm
Mt Vesucius - Crater €6.50
Open 09:00 till 5pm
- Tours available everyday
- Duration 9 hours (according to your ship's schedule)
- Pick up and drop off from your cruise ship docked in Salerno port.
- Tour can be reserved as a private tour OR you can create a group OR we will help to find fellow passengers to share the tour and costs.
- The proposed itinerary is only a suggestion, the vehicle and English-speaking driver are basically yours for the tour. If you would like to visit alternative towns please email and we will create an itinerary together to suit YOU.