Tour Pompei and Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast tour
Excursion 1 – Pompeii & Amalfi Coast – full day
Tour with us and our English-speaking driver will greet you directly from your tender/launcher in the port of Amalfi.
We drive up above Amalfi through stunning Italian countryside arriving directly to Ravello set 335 meters (1100 feet) above sea level.
The most peaceful and charming resort along the Amalfi Coast. Greta Garbo, Jacqueline Kennedy and Tennessee Williams all holidayed here, and the place still has an air of restrained glamour. From the main square you will find Ravello's Cathedral built in 1087. Just a few steps away from the Cathedral you will find the entrance to the magnificent Villa Rufolo, with its famous gardens loved by Wagner, from here you have a breathtaking view over the Amalfi Coast. Traffic-free lanes lead off the main square where you can experience local craft shops and even wine tasting. You may wish to enjoy a cool drink in the main Piazza, soak in the atmosphere before meeting up again with your driver.
We then take the highway between Mt. Vesuvius and the Lattari mountains.
In no time at all you will be in Pompeii.
Step back in time and explore a Roman city frozen in a single moment, walk the streets and see where the Romans of 79 AD lived, worked, relaxed and entertained. Pompeii was partially destroyed and buried under 4 to 6 m (13 to 20 ft) of ash and pumice in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79, and it was lost for nearly 1700 years before its accidental rediscovery in 1749. Since then, its excavation has provided an extraordinarily detailed insight into the life of a city at the height of the Roman Empire. Today, this UNESCO World Heritage Site is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Italy, with approximately 2,500,000 visitors every year.
After this great experience stepping back in time, back to present day ....
We now take the coast road, stopping for an amazing panoramic photo of the Bay of Sorrento, you can just imagine Pavorotti singing De Curtis' 'Torna a Surriento' as you gaze over the town perched on tufa rock rising 50 meters above a crystal-blue sea.
After our photo stop we join the famous Amalfi Drive, one of the most spectacular roads in Europe.
Free time in the picturesque town of Positano. Your driver will drop you right in the heart of Positano, saving precious time and your legs! giving you longer to wander the traffic free lanes filled with linen shops, art galleries and cafes. Following the only route down through Positano you will pass the beautiful church of Santa Maria Assunta and finish at the seafront seen in films including 'Only You' (1994), and 'Under the Tuscan Sun' (2003).
Leaving Positano we stay on the Amalfi Coast road, passing Praiano, Conca dei Marini and Amalfi (again lots of photo opportunities) before joining the motorway to return to the port of Amalfi.
- 2 hours in Pompeii – the world's most visited archaeological site.
- Magnificent gardens of Villa Rufolo in Ravello.
- Lunch in a typical Italian Restaurant (optional)
- Optional stop at the Ceramic factory, to pick up some local handmade crafts.
- Stroll through the beautiful pedestrianised lanes of Positano, offering delightful shopping.
- Plenty of photo opportunities along the coast
- Pick up and drop off from Amalfi pier, where your tender / launcher boat pulls in from your cruise ship.
- The port of Amalfi is small so your cruise ship will anchor offshore and tender into port.
- Tours available every day, reservation must be made in advance.
- Tour duration maximum 9 hours (according to your ships schedule)
- Payment for the tour is via credit / debit card in advance or cash on the day, only Euro.
- Tour can be reserved as a private tour OR we will help to find fellow passengers to share the tour and costs.
The proposed itinerary is only a suggestion, the vehicle and English-speaking driver is basically yours for the tour.
If you would like an alternative itinerary please email email@example.com and we will create the perfect day together to suit YOU.
Deluxe air-conditioned vehicle,
English speaking driver,
All tolls, parking, petrol (gas) and taxes.
Entrance tickets where applicable,
Optional authorised guide, available on request
Open 9am till 6pm
Emerald Grotto €5 (optional visit)
Open 9am till 5pm
Villa Rufolo, Ravello €5 (optional visit)
Open 9am till 8pm
Museum in Ravello Cathedral €2 (optional visit)
Open 9am till 7pm