Tour Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano
Excursion 2 – Pompeii, Sorrento & Positano – Full day
This excursion is more relaxing in comparison to Tour 1. If you are looking for a tour that offers quality time at each stop this is the tour. You do drive along the famous AMALFI DRIVE.
After meeting your English-speaking driver from your tender/launcher in the port of Amalfi we make the short ride to Pompeii, taking in amazing views of Mt. Vesuvius and the Lattari mountains which constitute the backbone of the AMALFI COAST.
In no time at all you will be Pompeii!
Step back in time and explore a Roman city frozen in a single moment, walk the streets and see where the Romans of 79 AD lived, worked, relaxed and entertained. Pompeii was partially destroyed and buried under 4 to 6 m (13 to 20 ft) of ash and pumice in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79, and it was lost for nearly 1700 years before its accidental rediscovery in 1749. Since then, its excavation has provided an extraordinarily detailed insight into the life of a city at the height of the Roman Empire. Today, this UNESCO World Heritage Site is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Italy, with approximately 2,500,000 visitors every year.
We now take the coast road, stopping for an amazing panoramic photo of the Bay of Sorrento, you can just imagine Pavorotti singing De Curtis' 'Torna a Surriento' as you gaze over the town perched on tufa rock rising 50 meters above a crystal blue sea.
After a driving tour through the districts of Sorrento we find 'Piazza Tasso' the main square, from here you will have free time to explore the delightful historical centre, with its numerous churches and shops to suit all, or enjoy a drink in the main square and ‘people-watch’ with the locals. Sorrento is famous for the production of limoncello, a digestif liquor made from lemon rinds, alcohol, water and sugar and you will find many shops in the historical area offering free samples. Other agricultural production includes citrus fruit, wine, nuts and olives. Inlaid wood craftsmanship/ Intarsio is also developed.
After visiting Sorrento we join the famous Amalfi Drive, one of the most spectacular roads in Europe. Lots of photo opportunities as you travel to Positano.
Free time in the picturesque town of Positano. Your driver will drop you right in the heart of Positano, saving precious time and your legs! giving you longer to wander the traffic free lanes filled with linen shops, art galleries and cafes. Following the only route down through Positano you will pass the beautiful church of Santa Maria Assunta and finish at the seafront seen in films including 'Only You' (1994), and 'Under the Tuscan Sun' (2003).
After Positano we will carry on along the Amalfi Coast road, stopping for photos along the way, passing Praiano, Conca dei Marini until we reach Amalfi town and port.
Deluxe air-conditioned vehicle,
All tolls, parking, petrol (gas) and taxes.
Entrance tickets where applicable,
Optional authorised guide, available on request,
Open 9am till 6pm
Emerald Grotto €5
Open 9am till 5pm
- Tours available every day, reservation must be made in advance.
- Duration 9 hours (according to your ship's schedule)
- Payment for your tour is via credit / debit card in advance or cash on the day, only Euro.
- Pick up and drop off from port of Amalfi where your cruise ship's tender/launcher will arrive to dockside.
- The port of Amalfi is small so your cruise ship will anchor offshore and tender into port.
- Tour can be reserved as a private tour OR you can create a group OR we will help to find fellow passengers to share the tour and costs.
- The proposed itinerary is only a suggestion, the vehicle and English-speaking driver are basically yours for the tour. If you would like to visit alternative towns please email and we will create an itinerary together to suit YOU.