Tour Pompeii, Mt. Vesuvius and Herculaneum
Shore Excursion to Pompeii, Mt. Vesuvius and Herculaneum from Naples Port
Excursion 3 - Pompeii, Mt. Vesuvius & Herculaneum
Can’t decide which archaeological site to visit? How about both?! And the Culprit!
At about 1pm on 24 August AD 79, Mount Vesuvius erupted violently. By the end of the following day, thousands of people were dead and the flourishing Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum had disappeared beneath tons of ash, pumice and solidified mud.
The excavations at Pompeii and Herculaneum, by contrast, offer an intact vision of daily life in a Roman society in all its aspects. They have produced not only many treasures, but also many less precious objects extremely useful for the understanding of everyday life during the years of the Roman empire. In the buildings of these towns - from the monumental to the most simple - the ancient world appears in all its complexity, with great clarity.
Mt.Vesuvius - Mainland Europe's only live volcano. Your driver will take you up 1000 metres, from there you have an optional 30-minute walk to the crater; Once at the top you can walk a third of the way round and see inside the crater where you may even observe a fumarole (steam/gas vents). BUT most of all enjoy a spectacular view over the bay of Naples.
- 2 hours free time in Pompeii
- 2 hours free time in Herculaneum
- Visit the only live volcano in mainland Europe, walk right to the crater!
- Optional stop in a cameo factory to see this fine art being hand crafted.
This is a physically difficult excursion involving a lot of walking, comfortable shoes must be worn!!
- Pick up and drop off from your cruise ship in Naples Cruise Port.
- Tours available everyday, reservation must be made in advance.
- Tour duration maximum 9 hours (according to your ships schedule)
- Your tour is confirmed along with credit card. Please read cancellation policy. Payment for the tour is cash on the day, only Euro.
- Your Naples shore excursion to Pompeii, Mt. Vesuvius and Herculaneum can be reserved as a private tour OR you can create a group here: www.sharedtoursinitaly.com and advertise for fellow passengers to share the tour and costs.
The proposed itinerary is only a suggestion, the vehicle and English-speaking driver is basically yours for the tour.
If you would like an alternative itinerary please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will create the perfect day together to suit YOU.
Deluxe air-conditioned vehicle,
All tolls, parking, petrol (gas) and taxes.
Entrance tickets where applicable,
Optional authorised guide, available on request
ENTRANCE FEES - Paid locally on the day:
Open 09:00 till 6pm
Mt Vesuvius - Crater €8
Open 09:00 till 5pm