Tour Pompeii and Amalfi Coast
Sorrento Port Shore excursion to Pompei and Amalfi Coast
Excursion 1 – Pompeii & Amalfi Coast – full day
Your Sorrento shore excursion to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast will be conducted by our English-speaking driver who will greet you directly from your tender/launcher in Sorrento port.
During the short journey from the port of Sorrento to Pompeii along the coast road are breathtaking views of the only live volcano in mainland Europe dominating the Bay of Naples, Mt. Vesuvius. On a clear day you will also see the Isle of Capri and the bay of Naples. During the journey the driver will discuss with you the areas and also the tours itinerary.
In no time at all you will be in Pompeii.
Explore a Roman city frozen in time, walk the streets and see where the Romans of 79 AD lived, worked, relaxed and entertained. Pompeii was partially destroyed and buried under 4 to 6 m (13 to 20 ft) of ash and pumice in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79, and it was lost for nearly 1700 years before its accidental rediscovery in 1749. Since then, its excavation has provided an extraordinarily detailed insight into the life of a city at the height of the Roman Empire. Today, this UNESCO World Heritage Site is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Italy, with approximately 2,500,000 visitors every year.
After this great experience stepping back in time, back to present day ....
A short drive on the highway turning off at Angri, we drive through stunning Italian countryside arriving directly to Ravello set 335 meters (1100 feet) above sea level.
The most peaceful and charming resort along the Amalfi Coast. Greta Garbo, Jacqueline Kennedy and Tennessee Williams all holidayed here, and the place still has an air of restrained glamour. In the main square you will find Ravello's Cathedral built in 1087, and just opposite the entrance to the magnificent Villa Rufolo with its famous gardens so loved by Wagner, once inside Villa Rufolo you will witness a breathtaking view over the Amalfi Coast. Traffic free lanes lead off the main square where you can experience local craft shops and even wine tasting.
Drive down to sea level and join the famous Amalfi Drive, one of the most spectacular roads in Europe. Lots of photo opportunities as you travel past Amalfi, Conca dei Marini, Praiano, and finally Positano.
Free time in the picturesque town of Positano. Your driver will drop you right in the heart of Positano, given you longer to wander the traffic free lanes lined with linen shops, art galleries and cafes. Following the only route down through Positano you will pass the beautiful church of Santa Maria Assunta and finish at the seafront seen in films including 'Only You' (1994), and 'Under the Tuscan Sun' (2003).
After your visit we will drive you back to the port of Sorrento.
- 2 hours in Pompeii – the world's most visited archaeological site
- Magnificent gardens of Villa Rufolo in Ravello
- Lunch in a typical Italian Restaurant (optional)
- Optional stop at the Ceramic factory, to pick up some local handmade crafts
- Stroll through the beautiful pedestrianised lanes of Positano, offering delightful shopping
- Plenty of photo opportunities along the coast
- Tours available everyday
- Tour duration maximum 9 hours (according to your ship's schedule)
- Pick up and drop off from port of Sorrento where your cruise ships tender/launcher will arrive to dockside.
- Your tour is confirmed along with credit card. Please read cancellation policy. Payment for the tour is cash on the day, only Euro.
- Tour can be reserved as a private tour OR you can create a group on our shared tours website for fellow passengers to share the tour and costs with you www.sharedtoursinitaly.com
- The proposed itinerary is only a suggestion, the vehicle and English-speaking driver are basically yours for the tour. If you would like to visit alternative towns please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will create an itinerary together to suit YOU.
Deluxe air-conditioned vehicle,
All tolls, parking, petrol (gas) and taxes.
Entrance tickets where applicable,
Optional authorised guide, available on request,
Open 08:30 till 6pm
Emerald Grotto €5 (optional visit)
Open 09:00 till 5pm
Villa Rufolo, Ravello €5 (optional visit)
Open 09:00 till 8pm
Museum in Ravello Cathedral €2 (optional visit)
Open 09:00 till 7pm