Tour Herculaneum, Positano & Sorrento
Sorrento Port Excursion to Herculaneum, Positano & Sorrento
Excursion 5 – Herculaneum, Positano & Sorrento – Full day
As excursion 2, but instead of Pompeii visit Herculaneum.
During the journey along the highway from the port of Sorrento to Herculaneum we drive around the base of the only live volcano in mainland Europe, Mt. Vesuvius. On a clear day you will also see the Isle of Capri and be able to look back on the Bay of Sorrento.
Herculaneum was the holiday resort of the rich Romans, used by the noble to escape the noise and confusion in Rome. During the disaster of 79 A.D when Mt. Vesuvius erupted the wind was blowing in the direction of Pompeii, Herculaneum was saved, or so they thought! 12 hours later the area was swamped by a landslide of liquid mud. Leaving for us a town frozen in near-perfect preservation, here you can explore Roman villas in their 2 storey state, enjoy frescoes so colourful they look like the were painted yesterday.
We now take the coast road, stopping for an amazing panoramic photo of the the Bay of Sorrento, before joining the famous Amalfi Drive, one of the most spectacular roads in Europe. Lots of photo opportunities as you travel to Positano.
Free time in the picturesque town of Positano. Your driver will drop you right in the heart of Positano, saving precious time and your legs! giving you longer to wander the traffic free lanes filled with linen shops, art galleries and cafes. Following the only route down through Positano you will pass the beautiful church of Santa Maria Assunta and finish at the stylish seafront.
Meeting back up with your driver we take you through the districts of Sorrento to 'Piazza Tasso' the main square, heart and soul of the town. From here you will have free time to explore the delightful historical centre, with its numerous churches and shops to suit all, or simply enjoy a drink in the main square and ‘people-watch’ with the locals.
Sorrento is famous for the production of limoncello, a digestif liquor made from lemon rinds, alcohol, water and sugar and you will find many shops in the historical area offering free samples. Other agricultural production includes citrus fruit, wine, nuts and olives. Inlaid wood craftsmanship/ Intarsio is also developed.
After your tour we will drive you down to the port of Sorrento to meet your return tender boat back to your cruise ship anchored offshore.
- 2 hours in Herculaneum – the archaeological site overshadowed by Pompeii, but yet better preserved!
- Drive part of the Amalfi Coast
- Photo stop at the ‘Madonna’ for the best view of Positano
- Free time to stroll the beautiful traffic free lanes of Positano
- Lunch in a typical Italian Restaurant
- Free time in Sorrento
- Historical lanes of Sorrento, lined with shops selling everything from giant lemons, inlaid wodwork, cameo, Limoncello to local souvenirs
- Enjoy a spectacular 360° view of the bay of Naples from the public gardens
Deluxe air-conditioned vehicle,
English speaking driver,
All tolls, parking, petrol (gas) and taxes.
Entrance tickets where applicable,
Optional authorised guide, available on request,
Open 8:30am till 5pm.
- Tours available every day. Reservation must be made in advance.
- Duration 9 hours (according to your ship's schedule)
- Pick up and drop off Sorrento pier where your tender/launcher pulls in from your cruise ships.
- The port of Sorrento is small so your cruise ship will anchor offshore and tender into port.
- Payment for the tour is on the day, either in cash, Euros, or by card.
- Tour can be reserved as a private tour OR you can create/join a group on our shared tour website where we will help to find fellow passengers to share the tour and costs. https://www.sharedtoursinitaly.com
- The proposed itinerary is only a suggestion, the vehicle and English-speaking driver are basically yours for the tour. If you would like to visit alternative towns please email and we will create an itinerary together to suit YOU.